Monday 29 December 2014

Syrian Teenager Escapes from ISIL using Suicide Vest


Local Editor

Iraq: ISIL gunmenA 14-year-old Syrian boy has described how he used a suicide vest to escape certain death at the hands of the so-called 'Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant' (ISIL), The Independent daily reported Sunday.

Speaking in an interview after he surrendered himself to the Iraqi authorities while strapped an explosive device, Usaid Barho told the New York Times that he joined the militant group of his own accord.

“They planted the idea in me that Shiites are infidels and we had to kill him,” he told the paper.

Once he faced being deployed as a child soldier by the group, however, Usaid regretted his decision – and when asked to volunteer either to fight or to carry out a suicide bombing, he saw the latter as his best chance to escape.

“I raised my hand to be a suicide bomber,” he said. “If I were a fighter and tried to surrender to security forces they might kill me, with my gun in my hand.”

Usaid was passed from one safe house to another, he told the Times, before being woken up, given his vest and a target – a Shiite mosque in the Bayaa neighborhood of Baghdad.

At dusk he walked up to the mosque gate. “I opened up my jacket and said: ‘I have a suicide vest, but I don’t want to blow myself up.’,” he said. Dramatic mobile phone footage of Usaid being unclipped from the vest by a plainclothes security officer was quickly shared via social media.

Usaid’s story comes as the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights revealed its latest figures for how many people it believes ISIL has executed.

Rami Abdulrahman, the head of the monitoring organization, said ISIL killed 1,878 people in the past six months in Syria alone. He said that number includes 1,175 civilians, some of whom were women and children, as well as the execution of 583 captive soldiers and opposition militants.

Source: Newspapers
29-12-2014 - 12:00 Last updated 29-12-2014 - 12:00


River to Sea Uprooted Palestinian   
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Blog!

No comments: